Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Nathan's Thomas Cake

*UPDATE: Click here to see my cake on the Coolest Birthday Cakes Website!


Yesterday we celebrated my nephew Nathan's 4th Birthday. Carolyn asked if I would like to make the cake...of course I said I would love to. We decided that I would make a Thomas the Tank Engine cake. I researched the best way to make it because I wanted it to look really cool. This was going to be my first 3-D cake. There were lots of different ways to do it, but I chose to make two loaf pan cakes and one cake in a corn can. Then I put all the pieces together and used scraps for the side pieces next to the can cake.

After I put all the pieces together I put a "crumb coat" on. It helps when you've been sculpting to not get any crumbs in the top coat of frosting. Then I put the cake on top of a grass covered cake and frosted it to look like Thomas. The smokestack is a marshmallow. Before everything I made Thomas' face out of fondant. I learned most of this from a great tutorial here. The face came out a little big, but otherwise everything went pretty well. I spent about 6-7 hours on the cake, not counting the baking. But it was worth it, Nathan loved it. I'm just happy it made it all the way to North Salt Lake without totally toppling over. The last step was to cut it up. Nathan loved the disgusting tasting fondant face. Yumm!

Later when we got home Steve decided to decorate the leftover cake. He did such a good job!

Isn't he so cute!

3 comments:

Mom said...

SARAH! The cake turned out wonderful! You did a fabulous job, and Nathan looks very happy - and that's what makes the 7 hours worth it. STEVIE! You're such a good cake decorator too! It's almost as good as Sarah's cake - almost!

Carolyn said...

Wow, I loved the cake when you brought it over but seeing how much work you put into it makes me appreciate it even more. I can't believe how much work it took! Thank you! Nathan really loved it, especially the Thomas face "lollipop"!

Steve, I like your cake too...

Betsy said...

You are amazing . . . but I don't think that's the first 3-D cake you've made. I still have one particular cake of yours burned in my memory.